We’re just about 1/2 way from when we decided we would take this step, to actually leaving at the beginning of June 2009.
At first we were tentative and scared, wondering if we could, wondering if we should do this. Then we were secretive and excited as we planned and schemed a way to do it. After that we were anxious as we ‘let the cat out of the bag’ and told our family and friends of our plans. And we were motivated…spreadsheeting, reading, phoning, researching and learning.
So, what are we doing now to stay motivated despite the fact that our house still hasn’t sold and our trip is still almost 7 months away?
- We’re taking Spanish lessons. I think we’re slowly learning…and I still love listening to Crisi.
- We’re researching. I have four books from SE Asia on my desk as I write. I plan on calling the Travel Clinic again this week to start the first of our immunizations. J is going to look at visa requirements.
- We’re reading travel blogs. From AlmostFearless who first inspired me, to NomadBackpackers who set out on their trip just over 6 weeks ago, to Nathan who just amazes me and makes me laugh with his stories…reading these, and many other peoples, travel stories reminds me where I will be soon enough.
- We’re moping. We try to alternate, but often there is one of us moping around feeling sorry for ourselves that the house still hasn’t sold.
- We’re organizing. I have fabulous spreadsheets, flash-cards, binders and notes.
- We’re talking to each other. About how we’re feeling, about how we should stay positive, about what we still have to do, about how fabulous it will be once we’re on the road.
- We’re imagining. Almost every other day we imagine where we will be exactly one year from that day. One year from today we will have been in India for 2 weeks!
- We’re drinking. Well, we are still Gillian and Jason for crying out loud!!